With an EMF Capacity Building grant, The Prince Charles Hospital Emergency Department has engaged in more than 20 research projects. The majority involve significant input from the Hospital's emergency clinicians, who are working in collaboration with other Queensland and interstate emergency department and/or academic institutions such as as CSIRO.
> QAS Clinical Decision Making study
> ARISTOS, sepsis study
> REFRESH, sepsis study
> Paediatric ED evaluation
> Paediatric ED discharge communication
> Pneumothorax study
> Lung ultrasound study
> PHFEW, CO2 in paediactic nasal hi-flow
> POTTY, technique for urine sample collection for pre-toilet trained children
> ED complaints
> Pathology checking
> Melatonin for paediactric ADHD
> ED alternatives study
> Whiplash study
> Interns prescribing abilities
- The Prince Charles Hospital Foundation -- $140,314
- Macdonald, S.P., Kinnear, F.B., Arendts, G., Ho, K.M. and Fatovich, D.M., “Near-infrared spectroscopy to predict organ failure and outcome in sepsis: the Assessing Risk in Sepsis using a Tissue Oxygen Saturation (ARISTOS) study”, Eur J Emerg Med., 2018 Jan 17. doi: 10.1097/MEJ.0000000000000535. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jessup, M., Fulbrook, P. and Kinnear, F.B., “Multidisciplinary evaluation of an emergency department nurse navigator role: A mixed methods study”, Aust Crit Care, 2017 Sep 20. pii: S1036-7314(17)30203-5. doi: 10.1016/j.aucc.2017.08.006. [Epub ahead of print]
- Smith, D. B., Tay, G. T., Hay, K., Antony, J., Bell, B., Kinnear, F. B., Douglas, J. (2017). Mortality in acute non-invasive ventilation. Intern Med J, 47(12), 1437-1440. https://doi.org/10.1111/imj.13632
- Davison M., Watson M., Wockner L., Kinnear F., 'Paediatric high-flow nasal cannula therapy in children with bronchiolitis: A retrospective safety and efficacy study in a non-tertiary environment', Emerg Med Australas., 2017 Apr;29(2):198-203. doi: 10.1111/1742-6723.12741.
- Fulbrook, P., Jessup, M. and Kinnear, F., 2017. Implementation and evaluation of a ‘Navigator’ role to improve emergency department throughput. Australas Emerg Nurs J. 2017 Aug;20(3):114-121. doi: 10.1016/j.aenj.2017.05.004
- Chu, K.H., Howell, T.E., Keijzers, G., Furyk, J.S., Eley, R.M., Kinnear, F.B., Thom, O., Mahmoud, I. and Brown, A.F., 2017. Acute Headache Presentations to the Emergency Department: A Statewide Cross‐sectional Study. Academic Emergency Medicine, 24(1), pp.53-62.
- Brown, S.G., Ball, E.L., Perrin, K., Read, C.A., Asha, S.E., Beasley, R., Egerton-Warburton, D., Jones, P.G., Keijzers, G., Kinnear, F.B. and Kwan, B.C., 2016. 'Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial of invasive versus conservative management of primary spontaneous pneumothorax', "BMJ open", 6(9), p.e011826.PSP Study Group. 2016. Study Protocol for a randomised controlled trial of invasive versus conservative manange of primary spontaneous pneumothorax. BMJ Open, 13;6(9):e011826.
- Kelly, A.M., Keijzers, G., Klim, S., Graham, C.A., Craig, S., Kuan, W.S., Jones, P., Holdgate, A., Lawoko, C. and Laribi, S., 2017. An Observational Study of Dysponea in Emergency Departments: The Asia, Australia, and New Zealand Dyspnea in Emergency Departments Study (AANZDEM). Academic Emergency Medicine, 24(3), pp.328-336.
- Peeler, A., Fulbrook, P., Edward, K.L. and Kinnear, F.B., 2016. An evaluation of staff transitioning from a combined adult/child emergency department to a new paediatric emergency department: A qualitative study. Australasian Emergency Nursing Journal, 19(3), pp.153-158.
- Mountain, D., Keijzers, G., Chu, K., Joseph, A, Read, C., Blecher, G et al. 2016. RESPECT-ED, rates of pulmonary emboli (PE) and subs segmental PE with modern computed tomographic pulmonary angiograms in Emergency departments: a multi-centre observational study finds significant yield variation, uncorrelated with use or small PE rates. PLoS ONE, 11(12):e0166483. IF: 4.411, Q1.
- Pinnock R., Young L., Spence F., Henning M., Hazell W., 'Can think aloud be used to teach and assess clinical reasoning in graduate education?' , "Journal of Graduate Medical Education", 2015; 7(3):334-7
- Deakin A. & Hansen K., 'Why did you leave us when we wanted you to stay?', "Emerg Med Australas", 2015; 27(5):488-9
- Kelly A.M., Keijzers G., Klim S., Graham C., Craig S., Kuan W.S. and AANZDEM Study Group, 'Australia, Asia and New Zealand Dyspnoea in Emergency Departments Study (AANZDEM): Rationale, Design and Analysis', "Emerg Med Australas", 2015;27(3):187-91
- Stewart V., Mendis M.D., Rowland .J, Low Choy N., 'Construction and Validation of the Vestibular Screening Tool for use in the Emergency Department and Acute Hospital Setting', "Arch Phys Med Rehabil", 2015;93(15)1092-8.
- Petra Lawrence & Paul Fulbrook (2015) Protocol for a pragmatic randomised controlled trial to evaluate effects of a brief intervention for emergency department attendees who present with moderate or high levels of non-specific psychological distress: a pilot study. Pilot and Feasibility Studies 1:33
- Fulbrook P, Lawrence P, Watt K (2015) Validity of the Paddington Alcohol Test in an Australian Emergency Department. Alcohol. 50(4):407-12
- Petra Lawrence and Paul Fulbrook (2015) Survey of an Australian general emergency department: estimated prevalence of mental health disorders. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 22(1) 30-8
- Anita Deakin, Timothy J Schultz, Kim Hansen & Carmel Crock (2015) Diagnostic error: Missed fractures in emergency medicine. Emerg Med Australas. 27(2):177-178.
Conference Posters & Presentations
- Fulbrook P, Jessup M, Kinnear F (2017). The nurse navigator role in the emergency department: does it improve throughput? XIII Congress of Intensive and Critical Care Medicine, XXII Brazilian Congress of Intensive Care Medicine, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. 8-11 November 2017. Oral presentation by Fulbrook P.
- Macdonald, S, Taylor D, Arendts G, Fatovich D, Kinnear F. Brown SG. (2017). Charlson Comorbidity Score combined with qSOFA score to predict mortality in sepsis. ACEM ASM 34th Annual Scientific Meeting Australasian College for Emergency Medicine. Sydney, 19 – 23 November. Presentation by Macdonald S. [Winner: Best paper by a Fellow]
- Brownlie, J., "Change and challenge the expected: Nurse practitioner emergency department vulnerable patients model of care", Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, Sept 2017 National Conference, Brisbane
- Jessup M. & Fulbrook P., 'Implementation and evaluation of an emergency department ‘Navigator’ role to improve timely delivery of patient care', "Key to the Future: Unlocking Nursing and Midwifery Leadership and Workforce Conference", Herston, May 11-12, 2015.
- Jessup M., Fulbrook P. & Kinnear F., "Nurse Navigators in the emergency department: implementation and evaluation of the role", 13th International Conference for Emergency Nurses, Brisbane, October 7-9, 2015.
- Jessup M., Fulbrook P. & Kinnear F., 'Implementation and evaluation of an emergency department "Navigator" role', The Prince Charles Hospital 7th annual Health Discoveries Research Forum, Brisbane, November 5 – 6, 2015.
- Chu K., Howell T., Furyk J. , Keijzers G., Eley R., Kinnear F., Thom O., Mahmoud I., 'Atraumatic subarchnoid haemorrhage: a prospective case series', ACEM ASM Nov 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Hansen et al, 'EMER', ACEM ASM, Nov 2015, Brisbane, Australia. (Won prize)
- Kinnear F., Fulbrook P. & Jessup M., 'Implementation and evaluation of an emergency department (ED) nurse navigator (NN) role: a controlled observation study utilising mixed methodology', ACEM ASM, Nov 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Chu K., Mahmoud I., Furyk J., Keijzers G., Eley R., Kinnear F., Thom O., Howell T., Hann A., 'Spectrophotometry and visual inspection for xanthochromia: results from a four-year state-wide data set', ACEM ASM Nov 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Egerton-Warburton D., Gosbell A., Wadsworth A., Moore K., Richardson D. & Fatovich D., "Twenty four- seven, seven days a week study confirms Alcohol-related presentations represent a significant burden to Australasian Emergency Departments", ACEM ASM Nov 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Kelly A., Keijzers G., Larib S. & AANZDEM study group., 'Dyspnoea in the Emergency Department: Results of the Asia, Australia and New Zealand Dyspnoea I Emergency Departments study', ACEM ASM Nov 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Kelly A., Craig S., Keijzers G. & AANZDEM study group, 'Asthma in the Emergency Department: An AANZDEM substudy', ACEM ASM Nov 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Kelly A., Holdgate A., Keijzers G. & AANZDEM study group, 'Chronic obstructive airways disease in the emergency department: An AANZDEM substudy', ACEM ASM Nov 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Kelly A., Graham C..A, Keijzers G. and AANZDEM study group, 'Cardiac failure in Emergency Departments: an AANZDEM substudy', ACEM ASM Nov 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Mountain D., Fatovich D., Chu K., Kinnear F. et al., 'RESPECT-ED, rate of emboli and subs segmental PE form CT ordered by ED - multi-centre collaboration to look at variability, utility and futility', ACEM ASM Nov 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Chu K., Howell T., Furyk J., Keijzers G., Eley R., Kinnear F., Thom O., Mahmoud I., 'Atraumatic subarchnoid haemorrhage: a prospective case series',.ACEM ASM Nov 2015, Brisbane, Australia. ia.
- Hansen, K., 'EMER - Emergency Medicine Events Register', International Forum on Quality & Safety in Healthcare, 22nd April 2015, London.