The impact on staff morale from working in the stressful emergency department environment is relatively unknown. This study aims to describe and compare the impact of the working environment on emergency department medical and nursing staff as well as the varied coping strategies used by ED staff in a range of ED environments of varying sizes and locations in Australia and Sweden. The findings will enhance understanding of factors that may link specific stressors to the emergency department workplace environment and can assist ED staff and managers in tailoring support mechanisms, as required.
- Griffith University Health Practice Innovation Member's research profile development funding; Emergency Medicine Australasia: $2,500
- Griffith University Internal staff development fund: $1,500
- Johnston, A., Abraham, L., Greenslade, J., Thom, O., Carlstrom, E., Wallis, M., & Crilly, J. (2016). Review article: Staff perception of the emergency department working environment: Integrative review of the literature. Emerg Med Australas. doi: 10.1111/1742-6723.12522 Impact Factor: 1.296
- Abraham, L., Johnston, A.N.B., Thom, O., Greenslade, J., Wallis, M., Carlstrom, E., Mills, D., Crilly, J., "Morale, stress and coping strategies of clinical staff working in emergency departments: A comparison of two different departments", International Conference for Emergency Nurses; Sydney, Australia, Oct 2017.
- Crilly, J., Greenslade, J., Johnston, A.N.B., Carlstrom, E., Thom, O., Abraham, L., Mills, D., Wallis, M., "Staff perceptions of the working environment in the emergency department: an international cross-sectional study", ACEM ASM, Sydney, Australia, Nov 2017. (Oral presentation)
- Johnston, A.N.B. Abraham, L., Greenslade, J., Thom, O., Carlstrom, E., Wallis, M., Crilly, J.C. Staff perception of the ED working environment: integrating literature to support ED specific workplace interventions for clinical staff. 13th International Conference for Emergency Nurses, 2015, Brisbane, Australia. (oral presentation)
- Johnston, A.N.B., Abrahams, L., Greenslade, J., Thom, O., Wallis, M., Crilly, J. Staff perception of working environments in Emergency departments; strategies, techniques and outcomes for undertaking an integrative review of the literature. Inaugural Gold Coast Nursing and Midwifery Symposium, 5th Sept 2015, Gold Coast University Hospital, Southport QLD where it was awarded “Best research presentation”.
Dr Ogilvie Thom
Prof Julia Crilly
Prof Marianne Wallis
A/Prof Eric Carlström
Dr Louisa Abraham
Dr Amy Johnston
A/Prof Jaimi Greenslade